First Apartment

It’s tiny (the living room opens to the bedroom, which is open to the kitchen. the tiny bath was clearly added later and they did a shotty job of it). I pay way too much rent. I live on the ground floor. My landlord does a shit job of maintaining the place. When I moved in the smell of cat was over powering. I'm not allowed to paint the walls. I'm broke. I moved across country so therefore had no furniture. I'm pretty neat whereas my boyfriend, who basically lives with me, is not.

All reasons why designing, decorating and making the place my own are significant challenges. My predicament is not unique. College kids who are stuck in an 8x8 white snider box cells can relate. So can anyone who is faced with both space and finical limitations.

But despite all my complaints I love my little space. As corny sounding as it is, it’s my own and there is nothing like having your own place. Dumpster diving and thrift store hunting are my two favorite past times and I'm a super crafter. So I really enjoy organizing, and arranging my place. My two favorite stores are defiantly Ikea and Target (or Targé as my mama calls it). The publication Ready Made is a great inspiration to me. When I first looked through that magazine I felt like I had come home! Their awesome projects represent a unique design perspective and point of view that I find very appealing. If you've never seen it I highly recommend you check it out.

In this blog I hope to chronicle my projects and the development of my space. I hope I can impart a few good ideas or tid-bits of inspiration here and there. Thanks for the interest.