Finally saw the biennial...

Finally got around to going over to the Whitney to see the biennial. overall, quite enjoyable. I went during a performance by Lars Jan and it was a free Friday so the place was packed. But I escaped the frenzied lobby and was greeted by James Casebere's sublime suburban landscapes. He photographed scale models of Duchess County, NY depicting them as almost uninhabitable, utopic, surreal American landscapes. I was transported right away.


A lot of video pieces.  I wasn't a huge fan of them all. but I did like Kate Gilmore's Standing Here, a performance video that shows her enclosed in a tiny closet like space and her subsequent violent attempts to escape. the film was taken from above, looking down at her, but was projected on to the wall in a room with the remains of her constructed closet, creating a wonderful sense of disoretation.



Also liked : Couch for a long time by Jessica Jackson Hutchins
-Newspaper clippings of Obama covering the TV receptical. Lumps of clay ready to be molded.


Also Aurel Schmidt's garbage Minotaur is amazing. check it out: http://www.whitney.org/Exhibitions/2010Biennial/AurelSchmidt

Wait I have to take it back, my FAVORITE PIECE was definitely Michael Asher's work to keep the Whitney "open to the public" (wait, dose that mean FREE?!?!) for 24 hrs for a whole week (they shortened it to 3 days, May 26th to May 28th.) I am so going at like 3 am!